Thursday, December 11, 2008

Special Diets for Autism

Many autistic children have digestive issues and "leaky gut syndrome" which is explained well here

Therefore most can benefit from a special diet. There is the Gluten Free Casein Free diet, which means wheat and dairy free. This is probably the most well known and most widely used diet for autism. I started my son on this diet a few years ago and noticed big improvements such as less hyperactivity and the ability to focus.

To help you get started with this diet, click here

Another diet that seems to have good results is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which I have not personally tried but I have heard from other parents that it has helped their children significantly, especially with yeast overgrowth. Basically, it cuts out grains like rice, wheat, and corn.

For more information concerning this diet, click here

The last diet I will talk about is the Body Ecology Diet. This diet is similar to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet but differs in that it offers certain very digestible grains such as quinoa, millett, buckwheat and amaranth. This is a diet I have used with my son and I have found it to be very beneficial for him, along with Vitality Greens, which I mentioned in a previous article.

For an excellent article explaining this diet, click here

I hope that this has been of some help to those of you who are trying to find a suitable diet for your child. Please make sure to check with your child's doctor before making any major dietary changes.

No comments: