Monday, January 5, 2009

Help for Hyperactive Monkeys!

Ok, so our autistic kids are not actually monkeys, but they can sometimes act like them! I know my son does anyway! Some days he will be jumping on his bed so much Im afraid he is going to come through the ceiling! Seriously though, kids with autism can be extremely hyper at times, enough to make you feel like you are going to go crazy trying to keep up with them! My son will sometimes just run around the house, making silly noises and giggling. Most of the time he seems really happy, which is great, but sometimes I just wish he would calm down just a tad.

Anyway, there are actually some things that can help with hyperactivity. Alot of kids with autism have a bunch of excess energy to burn off. One thing I try to do is make sure that my son has a chance during the day to get his energy out. He has a mini trampoline inside and a swing set outside. My son LOVES to swing. I think the swing set is the best investment we have made so far! Actually its not even that expensive. You can get one starting at about $100 at Toys r Us. Just make sure that you cement it in or it could go flying!

Anyway, I believe one of the main things that can cause hyperactivity is yeast overgrowth. From having my son tested, I know his yeast was off the chart. I do think that I have gotten it somewhat under control now with the use of probiotics. You can also read more about controlling yeast in one of my previous articles. http://livingwithautism-jen78fl.blogspot.com/2008/12/yeast-overgrowth-and-bacteria.html

Some other things that can help are certain supplements. I have heard that melatonin has a calming affect, though this can cause drowsiness. A few other supplements that some have had good results with are GABA, taurine, magnesium, and DMG. I have not personally tried these but have heard positive results from other parents. Make sure to check with your child's doctor before trying any type of new supplement and find out the appropriate dosages.

One thing that I have actually tried that helps immensely is something as simple as an epsom salt bath. I just pour a cup into my son's bath water and let him soak for about 20 minutes and he comes out a very calm child, most of the time anyway! There is also an epsom salt cream that I order from Kirkman Lab's, though I am not sure it works as well as baths. Then again my son loves his baths. I think flooding the bathroom floor while he is splashing around is fun for him!

So, I hope these things are somewhat helpful. I definitely think that core issues such as yeast and bacteria need to be addressed before hyperactivity can be taken care of.

3 comments:

Doublebanker said...

My kids aren't hyperactive yet...but are getting there for sure!

Wish I could help!

Tina said...

Try dokedo scented play putty for hyperactivity

www.dokedoputty.com

Great for sensory overload. It helps stress, helps calm and focus.

Great for fine motor skills. Strengthens hand and finger muscles.

NONtoxic. Made in USA. 13 scents and colors.

Unknown said...

Epsom salt backs help my son, too. :) We get ours from Walgreens b/c of the heavy metal content in some of them.